Thursday, January 3, 2013

the orchid thief




This is probably my favorite of the 'petal necklace series' the irridescent purply color is to die for. I swear I must have beeen a tacky hippie in an alternate life, I've really got a thing for irridescent stuff. In the summer at Whole Foods they have the most glorious orchids lining a wall that marks off the eating area, so my kids and I will go have sweet treats in the orchid forest. Did you know about orchidelirium? One hybrid word that's supposed to sum up the obsessive madness that claimed people in their avaricious quest to acquire new varieties of orchids during the Victorian era. I love stories of obsession; even if it's oftentimes misdirected and heavy on greed, it makes for good fiction if nothing else.  Four tiny petals of a purply-gold hang on a slender thread of gold chain. It's a simple, elegant piece. Clasp, chain, beads and wire all 14kt gold-filled. 17-1/4" in length. $37

No comments:

Post a Comment