Thursday, April 4, 2013

periwinkle



Periwinkle has an onomatopoeic quality to me. I just think when you say the name you can instantly picture the cute little bright lavender flower that is it's namesake.  Unfortunately for you readers, I'm also an oncology nurse and a huge science wonk. And I love learning about origins of certain medicines. Like vincristine, a major chemotherapy (the O in RCHOP and, yes, I get that that is majorly confusing, don't get me started on medical acronyms that make you go huh?) used to treat lymphoma, it is derived from Madagascar Periwinkle. Vincristine (aka Oncovin, that's where they get the O from) can never be used intrathecally and has a maximum dose of 2 mgs (you can thank me later if that helps you answer a question correctly on Jeopardy). Two cute little teardrops of perwinkle quartz wrapped in gold wire with four rosy lavender glass crystals dangling above. All wire 14 kt gold-filled. $23

2 comments:

  1. thank you nancy! i hadn't checked this site for awhile so i only saw you comments now. hope you're well.

    ReplyDelete